Wednesday 25 June 2008

The sneaky bribe


A while back I was approached to do some freelance for an incredibly dull industry association that generally gets no coverage. It was very easy and relatively well paid.

For the piece a meeting in my own time was set up with the MD of the organisation. He proceeded to tell me all about the organisation and what a great job it does. He handed me a document and told me to re-write it, but to add some ‘punch’.

Not only did they get me to do some work (albeit of questionable value) but now I understand how the organisation is run and who the key players are. This would have been excellent PR, guaranteed to at least get the firm on my radar, but for the fact that following the assignment the PR proceeded to hound me with press releases.

They were way too eager after the bribe!

Operation Backhander is a dangerous game. We know that parties, gifts and freelance work can help build a relationship, but what we had here was not just bribery it was a case of emotional guilt-based blackmail. The stunt (once I recognised it for what it was) backfired and I no longer open their press releases. It’s a bit like telling a girl you fancied for ages that you’re hung like a horse to get her to come home with you. If it works, and you're not, she’ll never fall for it again.

No comments: